Marriage Intentions Information

Photo of Wedding Rings

Where should I file my marriage intentions?

If you are getting married in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts - you must file your intentions within the state of Massachusetts. You can file in any town - it does not need to be your residence or the city/town you intend to get married in. An important thing to keep in mind when choosing where to file your intentions is that wherever you file will maintain the permanent record of your marriage. Marriage certificates are also kept on file with the state.

What is the cost of filing marriage intentions?

The cost varies across the state. The fee in Paxton is $15.00 to file and $5.00 for each certified copy of the marriage certificate. Acceptable forms of payment in Paxton are cash, check or debit/charge. Please note there is a small fee for paying with debit or credit.

When should I file my marriage intentions?

Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of filing the intentions. Once you file your intentions there is a 3 day waiting period until you can pick up your marriage license. It is best to file a few weeks before the planned wedding date. 

Do I need an appointment to file marriage intentions?

Appointments for filing intentions are not required at this time, but are highly recommended.  Please call or email the Town Clerk to make an appointment.

What do I need to bring?

  • Your future spouse! You both need to be present to file intentions. (Note: There are exceptions for certain circumstances such as if a party is deployed in the military or has medical reasons for not being able to come in person. For a full list reference MGL c. 207 § 20.)
  • Proof of your age, such as a birth certificate or passport (In MA you must be 18 years of age or older. MGLc207§24)   While a birth certificate or passport are the preferred documents, if these cannot be easily obtained other acceptable documents are listed in MGL c. 207 § 33a.
  • Payment for fees ($15 to file intentions/ $5 per copy for certified copies of the marriage certificate)
  • If you are getting married by a friend or family member (and not a member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace) you will need to submit the One Day Solemnization Certificate with the Gold Seal provided by the State.

What questions should I be prepared to answer on the forms I will need to fill out?

The 2 parties filing their intentions will be asked for their current full name, the surname (last) to be used after marriage, date of birth, current age, occupation, residence, which marriage this is (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc), status of the prior marriage (if applicable), birthplace, full name (including maiden name) of both parents, gender, blood relationship information to intended spouse, social security number, planned date of marriage, planned location of marriage, current phone number and address information, future contact information, officiant name and officiant address.

Who can officiate a wedding ceremony?

A wedding must be solemnized by a member of the clergy, a justice of the peace or a one day solemnizer. There is not a Justice of the Peace at the Town Hall in Paxton. 

To find a Justice of the Peace near you click here
To file for a one day solemnizer designation click here

Still have questions?

See the State Website here or
Contact Laurie Becker, the Town Clerk, at (508) 799-7347 ext. 1013 or email